Sunday, January 25, 2009

What a weekend

On Friday I was on the treadmill for my morning run, and felt something itchy on my back. I scratched it and about screamed because it hurt so badly. What the? I looked in the mirror, and there was a cluster of red bumps on my left side. Hmmm. I had no idea what the heck it was. I went to school and had my friend Robin (the health teacher) look at it. "Ooo. That's not good. Looks like shingles. They're brought on by stress, you know." Aaargh! What are you talking about? I've been stress free for the last month or so! NOT. Robin has had shingles, so she knows what she's talking about. Anyway, I emailed my sister (who had shingles last year)and she told me to run, not walk, to the doctor, because if I don't get on the medicine within the first 48 hours, I'm pretty much screwed. I went to the doctor, who only had to glance at my bumps before grimacing and telling me "sucks to be you." (He's a family friend, so this is normal and quite expected.) He called in a prescription for me. Good deal. I went to the pharmacy. "Your insurance needs authorization from the doctor before they pay. We've faxed the paperwork, but it will probably take a few days." WHAAAAAAT?? Remember it's Friday. A few days???? Thankfully, my sister stopped taking her medicine when she started feeling better, and had 8 pills left to hopefully get me through until mine is filled. I have a sneaking suspicion it's not going to be ready on Monday, and I'll be screwed either way. At least I'll have had a couple days of the medicine. (3 pills a day). I'm not the first in our family to go to the doctor this week, though. Cael has a sinus infection, but I think he has a viral thing on top of it, because his fever of 100 just broke yesterday. He's still coughing, but he'll be ok. I'm sending him to church with Brent and Kassidy since I don't think I should go to church. We have infants and nursing mothers in our congregation, and if anybody came down with chicken pox, it would be obvious who gave it to them. On a lighter note, I took a couple kids to a speech meet yesterday and got a superior ribbon. Allen went to Neiligh with the wrestlers. Unfortunately, they figured out Jake has walking pneumonia and had to be pulled from the tournament after he couldn't catch his breath for 20 min. after wrestling. Kyle, however, beat the 6th ranked kid in the state and won first!

No comments: