Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Who knew?

Friday, Cael was all ready to go swimming with Allen when he came home from work. "Mommy, I'm going swimming with Daddy! Ouch! My tummy hurts!" It was like someone flipped a switch. Well, they didn't go swimming. Saturday, we went shopping, but Cael was in his stroller most of the day, and slept a lot. Sunday at church and at the teacher installation he was fine, then that evening just got plain scary. He was doubled over and crying that his tummy hurt. He wasn't throwing up or anything, just a lot of pain. I slept with him, and Monday morning Allen called our doctor and said that he would be there first thing. Our doctor and his nurses know us pretty well. We don't freak out at little things, so if we're worried, they're worried. I went to my teacher meeting at 9am while Allen took Cael to the doctor. A blood draw and a CT scan later, our doctor and a surgeon didn't like what they saw, and we are now appendix free. Keep in mind Cael's 3 in September. Who knew one so little could have that trouble? We now have a completely different kid. He came out of recovery to his room and ate one popsicle and drank half of my smoothie. Allen got him the black Spiderman and the Green "Globum" (Cael speak for Goblin) for being so sick (Daddy was 5 when he got his appendix out and received Optimus Prime as a "sick present," so he thought Cael needed something too). Between playing with his new toys and watching Shrek, he ate yet another popsicle. Some family members called to talk to him, and he was happy to oblige. He was sitting up and laughing this morning, so I think we're pretty much on the mend. We just need to take it easy for a couple of days and keep on top of the pain meds. His incision is less than a 1/2 inch long and is butterflied shut. No stitches. I think the whole thing was harder on us than on him. Remember, he was in the hospital in April with Rotavirus, which was scary enough. We told our favorite nurses that we really just need to get together for a BBQ when we want to see each other, because seeing them this way is getting awfully expensive.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

I'm behind on reading, so I missed this one...
I'm so sorry that your little man got so sick! I'm so glad he's on the mend. Stick to BBQ's, won't ya!