Friday, May 30, 2008

Tornadoes

I was in the middle of writing a long response to Allison on her blog about last night, but then I thought I should probably just blog it myself. We're still here. We were on the northern part of the storm, and the tornadoes were on the southern part, which, crazy enough, was only about 15 miles down the road by Wood River. I need to call Cael's godparents (Brent and Kassidy) to see if they've blown away. I don't think we have much damage here, but I pray for everyone in Kearney and the surrounding areas that no one was hurt and they can put their lives back together quickly. Thanks for all the calls last night to see if we were ok. I even had students calling me from Shelton! Luckily, I'm my father's daughter (dad's a weather savvy farmer) and kept an eye on the radar. We had a picnic supper in our basement bedroom. Cael thought it was fun. Should've taken pictures, sorry. Funny enough, we never lost power. Allen and I both heard people from Grand Island say yesterday that the weather was acting just like it did June 3,1980. That was the day that 7 tornadoes ripped through Grand Island (watch the movie "Night of the Twisters," it's based on the event). People who lived here then have a keen sense on watching the weather and knowing when bad stuff is coming. I guess I would too if I lived through 7 twisters demolishing my town. Much of our part of the state and west (especially) is flooded. Mom and dad say that the creeks are out of their banks and the Republican River is running pretty strong. Grand Island has a horrible tendancy to flood. Especially downtown, which is where Allen works. The underpasses usually flood out, but there's always that one stupid person. You know, "I can make it!" Then halfway through, their car starts to float and the fire department has to come save them. Anyway, that was our night. Hope everyone else is safe!

1 comment:

Claudia said...

I'm glad to hear you are safe. My sister was driving into Kearney the day the tornadoes hit. I didn't realize you were so close to Kearney. My sister and brother-in-law just moved from Kearney a month ago. There was damage on either side of their apartment. Julie thinks the tornado jumped their old building.

Blog Archive