Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Allen's hero in GI

This afternoon, Cael and I got to go meet Rulon Gardner. We were super excited, since he's one of Allen's wrestling heroes. We took Allen's wrestling shoes for him to sign. As we were waiting in line, the 'MC' of the event was asking the kids questions to earn a Subway gift card. He asked "in what city was the Olympics where Rulon won his 3rd place medal?" Athens, duh! So Cael answered correctly first and got to go up onstage. He was pretty proud. So was I. We got up to talk to Rulon (Jacob Schwan, one of Allen's wrestlers was with us), and I told him about how Allen lost his weight so he could go into the military while watching him on Biggest Loser, and the inspiration he got from watching him. Rulon's a great guy. Very humble, very down-to-earth, very personable. So glad we got to see him! He was going to bend down to take a pic with Cael, but then he just picked him up and put him on his shoulder. Cael thought that was pretty cool. Afterward, a guy from the local radio station asked me to explain the story about Allen's shoes, so I guess I'll be on the radio!

1 comment:

Claudia said...

That is amazingly cool!