Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day at the track

Allen and I have been taking Cael to the track when we do shorter workouts since we've lived in Wood River. And since that time, he's been running with us. We went today and had a great time. I'm trying to get him to build up to a mile this summer, so we ran a warm-up lap, then he hung out while I did my speed and progression workout. After I was done, we did 2 laps of running the curves and walking the straights. He noticed a pair of starting blocks on the track and asked what they were for, so I taught him how to use them. Now, neither Allen, nor I have EVER had to use those because 1.We were never in track and 2.We're not fast enough to be sprinters. However, Cael wanted to know, so I thought, what the heck? He put himself in the blocks, I started him like in a race, and that kid took off! And then he just kept going! With Momma cheering him the whole way, of course. So - a mile total for the kiddo today. He's excited to go back because we'll do 3 laps of walk/run. When he can do 4 of those, I'll have him run 200m at a time with 100m of walking. We'll build up nice and slow. Gotta start somewhere!

No comments: