Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day

Today is Veteran's Day. I didn't really think today would hit me so hard. Dad would always go to the Veteran's Day program at the high school where he got to be recognized. I would call him to ask him how it went and he would usually tell me an Army story. The Army meant a lot to my Dad. As a helicopter mechanic, he had a good time with his buddies while stationed in Korea. I always enjoyed his stories, and he enjoyed telling them. Cael went to school today, and getting dressed, he picked out his clothes all by himself. He picked out his "Land of the Free because of the Brave" shirt with no earthy influence. He had to come show me while I was getting ready, and felt a little stupid crying in the shower. I put on my glasses instead of my contacts just because I knew I would probably cry more. After school, I won't be making my usual phone call. I'll probably call Mom or my sister, but it won't be the same.

2 comments:

LeAndra said...

Today was the first Verteran's Day program at school that I attended without my dad. For seven years he would come and we would sit together. This year it was all I could do to hold it together and not completely break down throughout the program. The hardest part was when they called members of the various branches forward for recognition. Dad had always been proud to stand with his fellow Army veterans and I was always proud of him. The program ended with Taps being played. It took me back to a cold December day at the cemetery and I had to leave the gym. I miss the man I call "Dad
very much but especially on Veteran's Day.

mom said...

My dear precious daughters: Thank you for honoring your beloved father on a day that meant so much to him. We never got tired of listening to his Army stories or any stories for that matter. We would laugh till the tears rolled down our cheeks and our sides hurt so much we couldn't get our breath.I too was remembering Wednesday morning and wishing we could be sitting beside him at the service. I'm sure he has everyone in heaven rolling with laughter. Thank you Lord for giving this wonderful man to us, for making us better people and this world a better place to be. I MISS HIM SO MUCH. He left me two beautiful daughters who carry around so much of himself within their souls. Thank You Daddy. MOM